All of our trainings are now online!
Therapeutic Yoga is an effective, gentle healing art that can easily be done through Zoom and other online platforms to offer stress reduction and healing during the pandemic. This can be a positive revenue source for yoga teachers, massage therapists, healthcare professionals and others interested in working safely during this time. New modules have been added to specifically address working virtually. Due to these unprecedented times, we've decided to open the Level I training to all those who are interested (for professionals who are interested in CEUs, click here). Level II is open to those who have completed all hours of the Level I training.
"This training was exactly what I was looking for and so much more. I'm excited to share what I have learned in our yoga studio with groups and individuals. It was amazing how connected I felt and wonderful the training was in an online atmosphere. The bonus is I can go back and review the materials.
Thank you Cheri & Arturo - can't wait to register for Level II."
Cathy F., Traverse City, MI
2020 Level I Graduate
Six days over three weekends.
A wealth of knowledge, honed from over two decades of teaching & clinical experience, custom made for you.
Two Levels, 40 hours each. Each course takes place 8am-4pm Pacific Time, Sat & Sun, three weekends in a row. This gives time in between to practice what has been learned.
Live attendance is not required, and all live sessions are recorded for viewing at your convenience. The student portal with all training material remains open for your review for six months from the end of the training.
See below for details for each level of the training.
THERAPEUTIC YOGA TRAINING - LEVEL I ONLINE
September 25,26 & October 2,3 & October 9,10 2021
Time: 8:00am-4:00pm (Pacific Timezone) each day
Price: $795 USD. Early bird price of $745 USD until September 1, 2021.
Payment plans available (contact us for more information).
Signup starts April 1st, 2021.
150 Page Manual
Plus an exciting mix of live and pre-recorded instruction, audio, video, and multimedia.
16 Restorative Poses
Learn variations, benefits, contraindications, & complementary gentle yoga.
Zoom & COVID-19
How to serve and prosper in the challenges of the present moment.
The Therapeutic Yoga Training - Level I Online - gives yoga teachers the skills to work intelligently with students who are living with chronic illness or injury, as well as pregnant and aging populations. Knowing how to work with these groups will deepen your confidence as a teacher, expand the range of private clients you can work with, and increase the types of classes you can offer - including online, working remotely with clients and using common props in their home.
Therapeutic Yoga is a comprehensive system of restorative yoga, gentle yoga, breath awareness, energy healing, and guided meditation specifically designed to enhance the body’s own capacity to heal. Using props such as pillows, bolsters, and blankets to gently support the body, the benefits of Therapeutic Yoga are accessible even to those recovering from injury or illness. Breath work, guided meditation and remote healing modalities are also part of the system, balancing the body and bringing peace to the mind.
In addition to yoga teachers, our graduates include nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, acupuncturists, and other healthcare professionals. Upon completion of the program, they are able to integrate the techniques taught in the training into patient care. Many of our graduates have successfully taken Therapeutic Yoga into hospitals, hospices, home-care situations, and many other areas of healthcare.
Above: Cheri giving a Therapeutic Yoga session during the training.
In place since 1998, our certified training offers a comprehensive and highly refined curriculum that includes:
- physiology of stress and relaxation
- anatomy from the yogic perspective
- 16 restorative yoga poses and theory
- gentle yoga poses
- benefits and contraindications of each posture
- effect of postures on acupuncture meridians
- sequencing guidelines for poses
- scar tissue and adhesions
- guided meditation for stress reduction and healing
- breath work
- remote energy healing techniques
- self-administered massage and energy healing
- supporting healing in students and clients
- learn how to effectively teach Therapeutic Yoga zoom sessions and classes
- COVID-19 pathology and Therapeutic Yoga for recovery
- self-care practices for the practitioner
- Interview with Gail Parker, Ph.D., C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, esteemed doctor and author of the recently published (August 2020) book Restorative Yoga for Ethnic and Race-Based Stress and Trauma. Visit https://www.drgailparker.com for more information.
- Interview with Whitney White, respiratory therapist working with COVID-19 patients in a Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) facility in New Orleans, Louisiana. Different aspects of both near term recovery as well as healing from long term damage are covered, with specific discussion of the benefits of several Therapeutic Yoga poses.
The training is both didactic and experiential. In the mornings, there will be an experiential practice, followed by lectures, which feature multimedia presentations. In the afternoons, students of the training will observe Cheri guiding a client in a Therapeutic Yoga session online, while Arturo goes over the contraindications and benefits of each pose. The day finishes with a Q&A session to discuss elements of the online session and the day's classes. For those attending live, there will be several optional lunchtime zoom breakout room sessions to get to know your classmates as well as a community portal to facilitate connection within our virtual community.
Certification Questions? Check out our Certification Q&A Details Page.
"I cannot say enough good things about the Level l Therapeutic Yoga Training I took last year. It was the first online training put forth due to the Covid and I found it to be beautifully presented, very educational, entertaining and informative. I am looking forward to taking Level ll!"
Kathleen B., Pasadena, CA
2020 Level I Graduate
Level II Online - Deepening Into Therapeutic Yoga
April 24-25 & May 1-2 & May 15-16, 2021.
(note the gap over the May 8-9 weekend to honor Mother's Day)
Times: 8:00am-4:00pm Pacific Time each day
Price: $795 USD. Early bird price of $745 USD until March 24, 2021.
Payment plans available (contact us for more information).
179 page manual
Even larger than Level I, packed full of valuable information.
How to work with specific conditions and injuries.
Finesse the art of listening and communication with clients.
Deepening Into Therapeutic Yoga is our Online Level II Training, open to graduates of Level I of the Therapeutic Yoga Training Program. Come learn a variety of ways to enhance and build on the skills you learned in the Therapeutic Yoga Training Level I. Finesse communication and listening skills, learn new remote energy techniques and adjustments, and deepen your understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Yoga to better serve the populations you work with.
Included in the training will be information about specific conditions and ways to work with:
- Treatments & Hardware
- Breast Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Neurological/Neuromuscular disorders
- Stress-Related illnesses
- Heart Disease
- Pain & Inflammation
- Strain & Sprain
- Yoga & Movement In The Healing Process
- Therapeutic Yoga for recovery
- 16 new restorative yoga poses
- Variations of poses introduced in Level I that require fewer props
- Gentle yoga
- Remote energy healing
- Contract/Relax muscle energy technique
- Techniques to increase range of motion and improve joint function
- Interactive guided meditations for one-on-one sessions
- Scripted meditations and suggested sequences for specific conditions (cancer, auto-immune, neurological)
- Finesse communication and listening methods for working effectively with clients
- Understanding how to work effectively with trauma-informed teaching techniques
- Interview with acclaimed trauma therapy pioneer Oliver Schubbe, PhD. As a licensed psychotherapist, Oliver draws from a lifetime of yoga experience. In his time in San Diego, he studied with founders of the systemic family therapy such as Virginia Satir, Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy and James Framo. For over 30 years, he has supported over 5000 psychotherapists in their work with traumatized clients via his institute in Berlin, Germany. Visit https://www.traumatherapie.de for more information.
- Interview with Lori Leyden, PhD, MBA is an internationally known humanitarian, trauma healing expert, visionary, and spiritual mentor. Dr. Leyden works in traumatized communities who have experienced genocide, war and school shootings. She also mentors successful influencers and leaders committed to aligning more fully with their destinies in service to global healing. See lorileyden.com for more information.
"If your path involves Therapeutic Yoga, I highly recommend Deepening into the Level II training with Cheri and Arturo. Being with them (even via online training) offers the student the chance to embody the teaching in a way that is vital to one's own process and what is needed in our collective communities. I am forever grateful to have found these two and honored to call them my teachers."
Sara DiGrazia, Psy.D., C-IAYT, Kailua, Hawaii.
2020 Level II Graduate