The Therapeutic Yoga Training Program gives yoga teachers the skills to work intelligently with students who are living with chronic illness or injury, as well as pregnant and aging populations. Knowing how to work with these groups will deepen your confidence as a teacher, expand the range of private clients you can work with, and increase the types of classes you can offer.
Therapeutic Yoga is a comprehensive system of restorative yoga, gentle yoga, breath awareness, and guided meditation specifically designed to enhance the body’s own capacity to heal. Using readily available props such as bolsters and blankets to gently support the body, the benefits of Therapeutic Yoga are accessible even to those recovering from injury or illness. Breath work, guided meditation and hands-on healing modalities are also part of the system, working to balance the body and ease the mind.
In addition to yoga teachers, our graduates include nurses, physical therapists, acupuncturists, and other healthcare professionals. They are able to integrate the techniques taught in the training into patient care. Many our graduates have successfully taken Therapeutic Yoga into hospitals, hospices, home-care situations, and many other areas of healthcare.
In place since 1998, our certified training offers a comprehensive and highly refined curriculum that includes:
- physiology of stress and relaxation
- anatomy from the yogic perspective
- 16 restorative yoga poses and theory
- gentle yoga
- benefits and contraindications of each posture
- effect of postures on acupuncture meridians
- sequencing guidelines for poses
- scar tissue and adhesions
- meditation for stress reduction and healing
- breath work
- guided imagery
- energy healing techniques
- hands-on adjustments
- supporting healing in students or clients
- learn how to give one on one Therapeutic Yoga sessions
- self-care practices for the practitioner
The training is both didactic and experiential. Lectures are combined with demonstrations of yoga poses, followed by sessions where you experience teaching the practice and receiving it. Benefits and contraindications are covered, as well as the effect on the meridians.
SPECIAL OFFER : If you take both trainings back-to-back, receive $100 off your tuition!
Upon finishing the required hours, students will be certified in Therapeutic Yoga.