The Therapeutic Yoga Training Program gives yoga teachers the skills to work intelligently with students who are living with chronic illness or injury, as well as pregnant and aging populations. Knowing how to work with these groups will deepen your confidence as a teacher, expand the range of private clients you can work with, and increase the types of classes you can offer. The training also offers a great education in the gentler styles of yoga that can be incorporated into more active classes.
Therapeutic Yoga is a comprehensive system of restorative yoga, gentle yoga, breath awareness, and guided meditation specifically designed to enhance the body’s own capacity to heal. Using readily available props such as pillows and blankets to gently support the body, the benefits of Therapeutic Yoga are accessible even to those recovering from injury or illness. Breath work, guided meditation and hands-on healing modalities are also part of the system, working to balance the body and ease the mind.
In addition to yoga teachers, our graduates include nurses, physical therapists, acupuncturists, and other healthcare professionals. They are able to integrate the techniques taught in the training into patient care. Many our graduates have successfully taken Therapeutic Yoga into hospitals, hospices, home-care situations, and many other areas of healthcare.
This 40-hour* foundational course covers the basics of Therapeutic Yoga. In addition to the theory and practice of restorative yoga postures and gentle yoga, participants will learn:
• Physiology of stress and relaxation
• Anatomy from the yogic perspective
• Benefits and contraindications of each posture
• Effect of posture on acupuncture meridians
• Implications of scar tissue and adhesions
• Sequencing guidelines for poses
• Integrating postures with breath work and guided meditation
• Incorporating hands-on healing techniques
• Supporting healing in students or clients
• Learn how to give one on one Therapeutic Yoga sessions
Upon finishing the required hours, students will be certified in Therapeutic Yoga.